Über Uns ・Geschichte



The Weyerhof was first mentioned in documents as early as 1130 and is thus one of the oldest farms in the region. 

Above the estate, you can still see the remains of a former protection and watchtower, which was also inhabited. The Weyer ruins are among the oldest in the region and date back to the 12th century. The tower is considered one of the last examples of the small castle complexes so typical of the Pinzgau.

The former dairy farm, the Weyerhof, was already a restaurant in 1662.

In the second half of the 17th century, the Weyerhof became a princely manor house. The entirely brick-built manor house was situated directly on the road. On the first floor were two magnificent princely rooms where the bishops of Chiemsee stayed when they came to hunt in the Upper Pinzgau. The Weyerhof had become a noble residence for the bishops of Chiemsee.

Both princely rooms were artistically panelled and contained precious furniture from the Renaissance and Baroque periods. The stoves and elaborate carvings dating from 1772 were considered true masterpieces of pottery and craftsmanship:

Anna Maria Rottmayerin zu Weyerhof (owner from 1691 - 1732) led her life alternately in her two properties Weyerhof and "Senninger Gut". At that time she was considered the "peasant queen" of the Upper Pinzgau because of her status and diligence. An oil painting in the Weyerhof commemorates this rich and capable woman.



On 22 December 1940, a fire destroyed the princely rooms and many other treasures. A smouldering fire, caused by a defective chimney, caused the catastrophe and led to a large fire that could not be extinguished. To make matters worse, the water pipe from the Salzach to the courtyard installed for extinguishing the fire had to be disconnected because of the approaching evening train and froze in the process. A burnt-out ruin remained of the once magnificent estate. The house was carefully rebuilt in the old style.

As documented, the Meilinger family has owned the Weyerhof in unbroken legal succession since 1832.

In recognition of the centuries of management and cultivation of this agricultural property, the Salzburg provincial government awarded the estate the honourable designation of "Erbhof" (hereditary farm) in 1982.